Skip to main content

The Broken UK NHS - A Patients View

 I've just seen the details of desperation and despair from an Emergency Doctor that was shared today. Sadly I have been a regular visitor to various NHS hospitals over the last 6 years and we really have seen all the good the great and the terribly sad due to the whole system bursting at the seems. This is not criticism of staff per se, I'm supporting them. Its not an 'opinion' but its what I have seen and I will share to help, a patients recent perspective I think adds weight to what that disastrous situation the doctor is describing. 

In the last two weeks we have needed to attend A&E and I want to share what I witnessed. 

Two weeks  ago I went in the morning. I was completely blown away. It was packed. I thought I was queuing up at a turnstile for a sports event. Once we were checked in, we tried to find a seat but there wasn't any. It was very enclosed and lots of cold and flu symptoms and especially sad to see so many children. This is bang in the middle of the Strep A crises adding more pressure. I counted around 100 people in this local area. New people keep arriving and this is causing tensions in the queue. Some people think they can just jump it and this is causing aggravation. The security guy actually did a good job of directing people to the queue, regardless. People are giving up seats to some clearly in a worse state or with physical problems so we shuffled around trying to find a gap and we end up near to where people check in. Of course this is not nice because like it or not, we can't help hear everyone's concerns. It really is a case of leaving your dignity at the door. I found it incredible that one thing was clear, was the vast majority needed a GP and perhaps either haven't got one or can't get to one. So many of the cases there were GP level and they were called out and sent to the GP separately. Some now stood in the only gap left which was buy automated doors. That's where I seen the 1st frustration from the staff. A nurse came through and told the people off for standing there. But, there is no where else to stand. Added to this the Police were dropping off people in desperate need of mental help, so the numbers just keep going up. We stood for another 3 hours, of course, totally understanding that others have priority but I unfortunately did see some of the frustration in the staff leak over to patients. Not all, I seen a nurse scanning the room, she looked heartbroken, like scanning a battlefield. There was a lady with her friend opposite, maybe 50/60's, the lady looked so sick, but they were sharing a seat and eventually ended up on the floor because the pain was too much to even sit in the chair. Another lady arrived in a wheelchair pushed by her two adult sons. They were ushered next two us and the mother was unconscious. They looked terrified and were frantically calling relatives. They asked how long we were there and so we got talking. They're mother was seen by a stranger in the town centre, slip and fall and bang her head. That person called for an ambulance and was told it would be 6 to 9 hours. They managed to trace the sons and they of course went to get her, now in A&E with us waiting. A member of staff then took over at reception. She came out and gave everyone a dressing down as a welcome. I'm not exaggerating, it was a telling off. "If I call your name and you don't come forward, i'll take you off the list". Wow, there's people in a daze out here, I just thought it was unnecessary, most intelligent people can look at this and see that the staff are not the problem, but also, despite the odd plank moaning, it's not the patients fault either. Shout at members of the government who are ignoring this disaster. She went to say "Also, anyone new coming in, you have to wait outside". I checked my phone, it was -6. 

Then last night, unfortunately we were back at A&E. We tried to avoid it by seeking the requirements via 111 but they suggested we dial 999. They booked an ambulance. 10 minutes later we got a call, they can't come out for 5 hours, its too risky to wait, so at gone 10pm we were heading for the other hospital near us. It didn't look as busy and warzone like as the other week. So, hopefully this wont be too long. Either way, one thing I won't do is be that person, the one up asking how long and pestering the staff. I'd seen at least one ambulance with a child who was fast tracked and rightly so! So, it turned out we were in for a different kind of night, this one that gave the insight as to what the staff perhaps get on a regular basis. We seen the triage nurse about 1hr 40 mins after arriving. Then we realised we were in for the long haul as the hours ticked by. One patient was quite loud, very vocal to everyone about how long he's been waiting. But things were about to get worse. A guy arrived, very loud, immediately confrontational. Shouting at the reception staff saying he wasn't going to give them his name. They should know it. He was demanding to see a doctor and wanted to know how long it would be. BTW, this emergency was knee pain. He was dishevelled and although didn't seem drunk, clearly had a lot of issues. He boasted that he's well known for his behaviour, quite proud. He had a large stick that he was using as a makeshift walking stick. He came to wait in the waiting area and sat near us. This put me on alert. His behaviour was erratic and irrational. He was huffing and puffing. Swearing at the security guard that was now watching him from the other room. He emptied the rubbish out of his pockets and dropped on the floor. He than started dragging the seats around, they were connected in 3's and 4's and he manoeuvred his around, towards us, we got up and moved. He had a weapon and clearly had no issues with his knee because i'd seen him skipping to the toilet. He then seemed to be focusing on people that were not white and making comments to them. Then, dragged the seats over to a woman who he made feel very scared and people began moving away from him. He was deliberately trying to get a reaction from innocent sick people and alarmingly, the "security" were not intervening to my surprise. He was called into Triage and then people confirmed that he had been racially abusing two different set of people. There was also a young lady brought in by the police and she seemed really vulnerable, she had ticks and could see she had become very scared, he was banging his stick on the floor at her to try and intimidate her. We said that this poor nurse was now stuck in a tiny room with him and the weapon he was claiming was a walking aid. There were raised voices and the brave nurse who perhaps sadly is hardened to this asked him to leave. In doing so, he now went into a tirade of abuse and also switched the light off in the room which must have been terrifying. At this point, he was now shouting vile abuse aimed at the nurse but the security stayed behind the locked door. Incidentally, we were not separated by a door. He took his vile backside out to reception and another security guard arrived and eventually he left the building.

Surprised I didn't see this last night.
No nurse, doctors and staff should be putting up with that. I've never seen it before and it certainly shows the other side. That's not worth any amount of money. But, my bigger concern was the lack of intervention and tolerance from the security team. There is a room full of sick people and vulnerable people. Get this guy out. When we were called through, we spoke to the nurse and she was able to laugh it off. We had a really good chat and she appreciated that we had seen it and were appalled and willing to step in. But then she got a shout "We've got another one". My word! Despite all this though, the Dr I saw was happy, patient, friendly and reassured us whilst carrying out all tests and examinations. We left at 7am.

My own experience over recent years of regular contact is that the majority of people working in it are great. Equally, most patients are good people also who wish they didn't have to use it. No one goes to hospital for fun. But I have seen at times the two parties lose patience with each other, we we shouldn't. All the patients that know what the NHS's staff has done for us should stand with them. Equally we should stand up for them and support them when they are abused by planks like I witnessed last night. Hospital bosses also need to look into they're security teams and they're effectiveness, protect your staff! Or get out of your bed and witness what they are facing on the front line! We (NHS STAFF and PUBLIC) have to stick together against those that abuse the system and most of all, those that created the environment that these poor people have to work in. They are the ones to blame.

I have deep resentment for people like that guy I witnessed last night. The sense of entitlement, not contributing to our system yet to abuse it so severely and simply walk away with no consequence. I have the same resentment (if not more) for the people at the very top that have manipulated tragic situations for personal gain for themselves, friends and family. Enough is enough we are the majority, forget your political persuasion, the NHS is sinking and if your thinking clapping them is helping then you may as well think that throwing a deckchair off the titanic could have saved it.

@antmccool7

#TheNHSisBroken

Popular posts from this blog

Conduct, Lies and Corruption: My unanswered complaint to the Conservative Party Feb 2022

01/02/22 Original Letter Sent by email... Dear Nadine Dorries, I wanted to write to you to express my concern about the integrity of the government you represent. I am not a political person and am not loyal to any political party. Until these recent years I never even took an interest. I did not trust any particular politician or party and just got on with the daily life of working, parenting, and living lawfully. However, I’m now at my wits end and feel sick to my bones and quite frankly when I just watched your video defence on national TV (C4) for me, that was the last straw. Before yesterday I did not even know who you were and when I heard you childishly and angrily defend this corruption and lies with playground responses like “he said it first” and finalised with “The PM tells the truth”. That is the last straw. Then I looked you up. Only to be horrified to learn that you’re the MP around where I live. In Flitwick/Ampthill. I couldn’t be more embarrassed and sickened to think y

Post Office Scandal - Action

I’m sure like everyone else, I was completely blown away with the injustice and outrageous treatment of the poor honest people on the Mr Bates Vs The Post Office. I guess, especially for those of us that have suffered losing everything and for me feeling let down by the system which for me was a large fraud of cash from our business. But the scale of this thing is just enormous and the tragedy it caused is simply irreversible. We were just gasping with shock as it escalated and in tears at the families torn apart in this huge miscarriage of justice. Our thoughts and prayers in particular go to the families of Martin Griffiths, Fiona Mcgowan, Peter Huxham and Louise Mann, plus the 30+ others who will never see true justice. It was absolutely infuriating to see what these innocent people went through, and I was delighted to see how Alan Bates dug his heels in to take on such a huge institution owned by the government, I loved that. But after watching the ITV program I can’t stop thinking

The NHS – Private Companies. Lack of Performance and Accountability

We are being snuck into private healthcare, but with a fraction of the service level you would expect if it were our private choice, using medical insurance instead of this crippled institution. Sadly, as well as the public now paying the price, the poor genuine people employed in the NHS are also facing the brunt of inhumane treatment and desperately sick people. Many of us have seen the disgusting behaviour of some entitled individuals that abuse people and show disregard to the NHS staff, but in recent years, I can honestly say that I have witnessed much more disrespect and verbal abuse, inhumane and lack of dignity coming from the staff to patients. It’s a crisis, and the two ends are clashing at the coal face while the real people to blame are hiding and scheming to get the rich, richer. GPs are completely overwhelmed, hence the new NHS TV advert to now go to the pharmacist with some sicknesses, this however is also dangerous. My wife was recently advised to take a medicine that w